The striking Renaissance castle of the Counts of Raitenau has established itself as an international centre for science & further education since 1981.
In 1929, the state of Vorarlberg acquired the Renaissance estate. During the Second World War, it was again used as a military hospital and as an office of the German Wehrmacht. After the end of the war, it became the quarters of the French occupation. Between 1951 and 1972, Schloss Hofen was run by two trade groups as a vocational school for the hospitality industry with a boarding school and summer hotel. In 1972, the state of Vorarlberg bought back the property. From 1979 to 1981, it was extensively renovated and adapted into a modern educational centre, which opened as a provincial education centre in 1981. Since 2008 Schloss Hofen has organised the entire continuing education of the Vorarlberg University of Applied Sciences and operates as the Science and Continuing Education Centre of the State of Vorarlberg and the University of Applied Sciences.